1/02/2007

Thank You, George B. S.

"This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy." - George Bernard Shaw

This quotation was a favorite of NC/Tennessee writer Wilma Dykeman, who just died after being a force of Nature who enriched us all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's funny - I just read part of this quote last night, and it intrigued me. But the author didn't know the source. Here is the excerpt from "Bella Tuscany" by Frances Mayes: "I heard Ramsey Clark, then Attorney General, speak when I was in college. All I remember him saying was something like, 'When I die, I want to be so exhausted that you can throw me on the scrap heap.' He wanted to be totally consumed by his life..."

When I see coincidences like this, I have to ponder whether it is a message...